Wednesday, January 9, 2008

GOALS AND WHATNOT

Do you set daily writing goals for yourself? Advice on this subject runs rampant and varies widely. I think probably it's a matter of trying different things until you find the thing that works best for you. And then be open to change.

For the longest time I was resistant to a word-count-per-day writing goal. Maybe because it scared me?? I mean, what would happen on that day when I inevitable didn't make my word count? Well. I'll tell you: I didn't give up, which was of course the secret fear... I just wrote more words the next day. And see, that's what's so great about being a writer. There is so much flexibility inherent in the job.

Currently I am committed to writing one thousand words a day. So far in this latests novel (not counting today, because I haven't gotten to it yet), I've got 21,100 words. Which means I've got about ten to fifteen thousand more words to go. (It's a midgrade novel.) My goal is to have the first draft finished by the end of January. Stay tuned. :)

"First drafts are shit."

- Ernest Hemingway

1 comment:

  1. I haven't counted words since high school when we had to right x amount of word essays!! I don't think I can go back to those days!!

    Thanks for your visit to my place. I have not seen that movie yet, but I want to. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?