Friday, January 11, 2008

HOW TO TRAIN FOR A MARATHON



I read recently Clarence Thomas' authobiography MY GRANDFATHER'S SON: A MEMOIR. It's a great book on many levels -- one of the things I appreciated most about was the "full circle" feeling it evoked as Clarence at first rejects his grandfather's way of life, then struggles mightily, and finally finds some sort of peace. Forget about the politics; anyone who has ever struggled with a parent will appreciate this book.

The quote I want to share today is found in the book, and I think it can be applied to any aspect of life. Today I am applying it to my writing.

"I took as my motto a saying of Bobby Knight, then Indiana University’s men’s basketball coach: 'Everybody has a will to win. What’s far more important is having the will to prepare to win.' The question, I saw, was whether I had the will to prepare for the marathon - and ultimately, for the rest of my life. I didn’t know the answer, but I knew that simply making the attempt would help me."

- Clarence Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Very useful quote. Preparation can make the greatest difference between wanting to win, and actually winning. Sometimes we forget that.

    I would love to read the poem that you come up with after you ponder "What Love Looks Like".

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?