Tuesday, January 29, 2008

MY NEXT VICTIM


Now that I've got the first draft of ESCAPE FROM FIRE MOUNTAIN set aside to simmer, I am tackling some poetry projects that have been waiting patiently in the dark corners of my mind.

For the past year and a half I have been working with another poet on a "linking" poem project: she steals a line from my poem and embeds it in hers, then I steal a line from her poem and embed it in my next one. Our big topic is "historical woman," meaning women who are dead so they won't be upset about whatever we decide to write. :) These poems require a lot of research, and I find that most of mine are about women who have been overshadowed somehow by a more famous man. They deserve to be heard, don't you think?

So my next poem will be about Klara Hitler. I'm pretty sure she didn't ask to give birth to a baby who would become Adolf Hitler... can you imagine?


"Writing about the unholy is one way to write about the sacred."

-Clive Barker

5 comments:

  1. Oh Irene,

    The thought of a poem about Hitler's mother really brings a chill to my bones. Just the mention of that name makes my stomach churn.

    Best of luck with your project! I hope that it goes well.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I know just what you mean! I have been reading transcripts from an interview with the family doctor... there are so many red flags in this family, but I imagine there are red flags in ANY family... I suppose the blessing for Klara was she died before all the awful things happened.
    Thanks for your good wishes! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very interesting. I have never thought of her before, but now that you have brought her up I want to research her also. It sounds very interesting.

    You are such a kind person to leave me that wonderful comment. I will definitely send in Our Journey. I just finished the last installment today and I have an epilogue planned. I see that I have until June, so I have plenty of time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

    I read a poem or two a night of yours....I love them. You are very talented. I can feel the emotion through the words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope you'll submit your story to Cup of Comfort. It's exactly what they are looking for.
    Glad you are enjoying the poems! I appreciate so much your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful was Klara !

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?