Sunday, June 8, 2008

SHOWCASE SUNDAY

Rhett Remembers

When I think of her
I think of stairs:

The breathless staircase
at Twelve Oaks she climbed

in a huff, apple-green gown
the sweet to her sharp. Ashley

stood between us, the one
blockade I could not run.

Then later in our own home
when she fell and Bonnie fell

and I fell
into the universe’s black

mouth that kept one
but spit the rest of us out.

She had the same look
that last day

as she had the morning
she paraded into jail

draped in drapes. I’ve seen
Tara under her nails,

felt the callouses. I know
she’ll come after me

no matter what
I said at the foot of the stairs.

Why fight a war
that’s long since been lost?

- Irene Latham

Something about being in hot sultry Mississippi made me want to post this one about hot sultry Scarlett. :)

"I want you to faint. This is what you were meant for. None of the fools you've ever know have kissed you like this, have they? Your Charles, or your Frank, or your stupid Ashley!"

- Rhett Butler, GONE WITH THE WIND by Margaret Mitchell

1 comment:

  1. Irene,

    Such a fantastic poem!

    It is hard watching my girls grow up so fast, but it is wonderful seeing who they are becoming. I am sure that you are going through the same thing with your boys. How do they get older when we don't?

    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?