Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FAVORITE POEM #5

Celebrate National Poetry Month!


Auguries of Innocence

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

(click here for the rest of the poem)

- William Blake

Sun van Zyl of South Africa says according to her diaries, this is her favourite English poem,particularly the first four lines.

She also says this: "I have always surrounded myself with questions about the everything and the nothing of life and the why, but there is a truth in reaching the point of stillness, the point of looking at the now and everything that it stands for, the beauty and the essence of existence. My life would not have been this rich if my eyes were not opened to seeing the awe of the simple things and the complicated things through simple sight. And to realize we are creation and we hold life in our hands and we should respect it always gives us a measure of hope."

And to realize we are creation and we hold life in our hands and we should respect it always give me a measure of hope. LOVE.

Check back later this month for one of Sun's favorite original poems!

Quick update:
1. Finished reading The Underneath by Kathi Appelt to my 9 year old. He said it was his favorite book ever !!
2. Zipped copyedits off to editor. Whew!
3. Having tea today with three other Tenners. Tea, I tell you! Mmmmmm.....

Photo found here.

2 comments:

  1. Love that photo! Copyedits done - yay!!! I want to know more about Leaving Gee's Bend. Have you posted any excerpts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Didn't you love The Underneath? Kathi was my faculty mentor at Chautauqua two summers ago. What a great gal.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?