Friday, January 1, 2010

A LITTLE "SARAH CYNTHIA" TO START THE NEW YEAR

Welcome, 2010!!

To get the year started right, I give you my favorite poem from childhood, as read by the person who read it to me: my father, or Papa, as he is more affectionately known. (Blog goal for 2010: video once a week!)

It's just a funny list poem -- "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out" by Shel Silverstein. And to me, then and now, it's magically creative and funny and inspiring. The drawing in WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS is pretty awesome too. Enjoy!

For other poetry today, Mary Lee has roundup at A Year of Reading.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your Papa reading... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved listening to your Papa and can't wait until next week to see who will be reading what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this poem! I use it with my students every year, and they love it too. Your Papa's reading was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE that you got your Papa to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very fun! Shel Silverstein has some greats and hearing your Papa was great. Gives me some ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Irene, I was glued to the computer, listening to your beloved Papa read this poem! His accent is enchanting. Thank you for sharing your Father with us. Such a treat.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?