Thursday, December 13, 2012

DEAR LIFE by Alice Munro


When I am actively writing, it's often hard for me to sustain the attention a full-length novel requires -- so I break out the poetry and short stories.

This week that's meant DEAR LIFE, the newest collection of short stories by Alice Munro.



Here's a passage from a story titled "Gravel":

"The thing is to be happy," he said. "No matter what. Just try that. You can. It gets easier and easier. It's nothing to do with circumstances. You wouldn't believe how good it is. Accept everything and tragedy disappears. Or tragedy lightens, anyway, and you're just there, going along easy with the world."



3 comments:

  1. Nice. I wondered if writers read other things while they are working on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Munro's writing but I think I have to be in a certain mood, a robust-sih one, because I find the sadness just really resonates with me. I find it delightfully surprising that you have chosen to share a quote about happiness from this book. I've been eyeing it. Maybe this will be my quiet read for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dear Life" indeed, Irene. This looks nice. Thank you for sharing. I have so many books TBR, but a short story anthology would be good to keep on the shelf just for me! I like the quote you shared, although after yesterday it's tough to consider. Perhaps later. Best to you. As you know I've been busy, so haven't read much, but I'm nearly finished with Don't Feed The Boy. I've enjoyed every bit. I love that you respect the thoughts of the children well. Many tend to dismiss that.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?