Friday, October 16, 2015

NEVER BROKEN by Jewel

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Amy at The Poem Farm for Roundup. I know she will be growing something beautiful for us!

I'm at an all-day intensive today with artistrator E.B. Lewis on "The Hook of the Book," but I wanted to pop in and wish everyone a lovely day! Tomorrow I am presenting at our local SCBWI annual conference with Doraine Bennett on "Finding Voice." And I get to meet Poetry Friday friend Jan Godown Annino!!

Also, I've been reading -- and loving -- NEVER BROKEN by Jewel. Song lyrics are poetry, right? As if a life.

I remember when Jewel first appeared on the music scene, and I remember when she published a book of poems. But I guess I sort of dismissed her as another pop celebrity  -- I certainly never embraced her work. (Sorry, Jewel!) Oh, but this book! I knew it might be something special when, on the opening page, I found some lines by Rumi:



In other news, DEAR WANDERING WILDEBEEST was awarded a Silver Moonbeam Children's Award for Poetry! It makes me happy to think about those wildebeest wandering into the hands of new readers. That's the lovely thing of awards, I think -- the potential for increased exposure and recognition to broaden a book's audience.

Which brings me to the CYBILS! Here's a pic of the titles I'm reading this week in the Poetry category (O, lucky me!):



Have YOU read these titles yet?


10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to WILDEBEEST and to you! NEVER BROKEN sounds super. We're Jewel fans here too...and great songwriters are such poets. Another one - Sara Bareilles! (We can't wait to see WAITRESS!) Happy Poetry Friday and have fun at SCBWI - wish I would be there with you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award! It sounds like you are going to be having a terrific weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the award! Well deserved for those wildebeests :).

    I enjoy Jewel's music, but haven't read any of her poetry. You've piqued my curiosity now. Of the books pictured above, I've only read the Calef Brown title (I'm a longtime fan).

    Have a great time at the intensive today and the conference tomorrow!

    P.S. Congrats are in order -- you won last week's book giveaway (Sharing the Bread)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound busy in a really fun way! Congrats on the Moonbeam award :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the award, Irene, so special for a special book. Thanks for the new recommendation, too. I love Winter Bees, have Enchanted Air & will read it soon, know it will be wonderful. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy for your Moonbeam Award! It's always wonderful when a book gets more exposure. I still remember my happy day at NCTE when I got my copy of Wildebeast! I read Winter Bees awhile back, checked out and wanted to read Enchanted Air, but had to return it. The others are new to me! Enjoy your fabulous next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your Silver Moonbeam, Irene! (What a beautiful thing to be congratulated on... we all need our own moonbeam, I think.) I have Jewel's book of poetry– A NIGHT WITHOUT ARMOR. Maybe it's because I knew of her before she hit it big on the pop charts, but yes, she's always had a unique perspective and a special way with words. I'm not surprised her "stardom" was relatively short-lived. It never seemed like a good fit for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that E.B. Lewis self-identifies as "artistrator." I'm afraid I'm too many things to make any kind of sensible moniker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops -- and congrats on your very own moonbeam!

      Delete

Your thoughts?