Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Poem for the Winter Solstice

Tonight's the night! Birmingham friends, I hope you'll join me for SHINE BRIGHT, a poetry reading and open mic in celebration of the winter solstice.

Here is the poem I will be reading:


Winter Solstice

No more hurry
hurry.

Time now for firelight
and dreaming,

for church bells
mingling

with the cold,
quiet sunlight.

And somewhere
deep

inside of you

a kernel of courage
unfurling --

each day, more light.

- Irene Latham
-------------------

I can't wait to hear what others will be sharing! What poem would YOU share on the topic of "winter" or "light" ?

And, here, just for fun, is the Little Bear "Winter Solstice" episode.  Lanterns and snow angels... and a song! (The night is cold, the snow is cold, Grandmother loves winter, and I do, too!) We loved watching this when the kids were small. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love your poem! I've already copied it for my writer's notebook. I wish I could join your celebration of poetry tonight. I'm looking for a poem I wrote about lights in the bus tunnel. I really need to add labels to all my blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was a luminescent gathering! Thanks for sharing YOUR light, my friend. Love that "courage unfurling."

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?