Monday, January 23, 2017

Movie Monday: THE FOUNDER

I am very excited about the 2017 Youth Media Awards coming later this morning! I considered attending the event since it is so close (Atlanta), but decided I'd rather watch the live stream in my pajamas. :)

In other exciting news, the 2017 Oscar nominations will be announced  tomorrow (Tuesday) morning! Here are some predictions.

And here is a little bit about THE FOUNDER, which is about Ray Kroc, the man responsible for bringing McDonald's nationwide and around the globe (100 countries!). I really enjoyed the movie, as it shows the good and the not so good about being ambitious. Success comes at a price, and sometimes the story gets changed along the way. Things (like marriages and integrity) are sometimes lost in the pursuit of success, and by God, when you make a deal, get it in writing. 

I was instantly able to apply some of the movie's wisdom to my writing life -- it's not about talent or education; the way to succeed is PERSISTENCE.

I know this to be true, and I kind of ached for Ray Kroc in the movie when he's pitching McDonald's as a franchise, and the bankers and investors are laughing at him, remembering all his previous schemes and great ideas. It can be SO HARD to keep going.

But. All a person needs is one great success! And Kroc is right: it's got to be different, something revolutionary. This is good advice for we artists as well! Don't just do the thing that's already been done. Be bold and innovative. Know what you're selling/creating. (For Kroc, it was "family.") And Don't. Give. Up.

Go see this one -- Michael Keaton does a great job, and it's a fascinating story.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see this movie. Keaton has been on a roll the past three years

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?